Sunday, May 13, 2012

now I see through your eyes, all that you did was love.

Growing up as a nineties kid, I no doubt loved 'The Spice Girls' and my Momma always favored a particular song....


..... Did you guess yet?



As a kid and even into my teen years I didn't really get it. I mean, I got that it was about loving your mom and I love my mom, so I liked it. As I got older and my momma and I began to get close, I mean we were always close but growing up and coming into adulthood gave us the chance to connect on a level where I was finally beginning to realize she wasn't a "being a bitch" when I couldn't go to a party or when I got in shit for smoking/smoking pot in high school... She cared about me. She didn't want me doing things I would regret or that could hurt me. She is my protector and it's her human nature to want what's best for me. Maybe it's a growing up thing, maybe it's a me thing, but the Spice Girls seemed to feel the same way and I'm guessing there's some others out there too. But this isn't an entry about me or my revelations on life or The Spice Girls. It's about my motivator, my inspiration, my best friend and my rock;

 Me (14, I think?) and my lovely momma, Roxanne, in Hawaii '06


It's an old photo, Rox isn't huge on photo-ops even though she should be because she's gorgeous. Anyway I'm not going to get too over the top with anything here but here are few things I strongly admire and respect about my mother (not that I don't admire and respect everything she does... these are just some things I find extra inspiring) that have had a huge impact on me;
She's one of the strongest women I know for numerous reasons. She's open and honest with me about life and everything to do with it since I was young. I had boundaries growing up, believe you me, but I was never discouraged when it came to my independence and finding myself. Which leads me to my mothers incredible independence, that, even as a married mother she has always retained. Her willingness and bravery, including going back to school just this year because she had always wanted to learn about psychology/psychiatry, which to me is so empowering and inspiring. She's compassionate and accepting of people from any and all walks of life, I'm proud to have those qualities she instilled in me. She's my (and has been many others) number one motivator in anything I choose to set my mind to... she doesn't just tell me I can do something, she always believes I can. She is my rock - my support, my guidance and she keeps me grounded - Not only a mother but a best friend who I can talk to about anything without ever worrying about judgement. I feel like the most fortunate daughter and if I were to ever use the term 'blessed' this would be where it would apply.
Of course, I'm not sure how many of my readers have moms/moms they get along with and I apologize if I left some of you feeling 'left out' because I do think these hallmark holidays are kinda bullshit but I like celebrating my mom and all she's done for me throughout my life - so I'm on the Mothers/Fathers Day bandwagon... but I still agree with Kelly Cutrone in that she thinks the two should be combined into 'Parents Day' to be slightly less alienating  (If you want some female guidance written in a clever, honest way I'd suggest Kelly's book 'Normal Gets You Nowhere' (covered on tatteredtights and probably will be on here again).

To all those mothers have a wonderful day and to all of you who do have mothers... treat your moms like every day is mothers day (and dads like it's always fathers day, too!), adoptive parents, guardians, whomever was someone in your life who was a strong inspirational figure - always give them the respect they deserve, they've done a lot for you.

Have a lovely Sunday Bitches and Bros.

Xo
Alix Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment